Welcome to the WeChat Guardian Mode function.
In order to promote a healthy, safe and civilised online environment for all WeChat users, we have introduced the WeChat Guardian Mode Function (“Guardian Mode”), which requires a WeChat user to designate a “guardian” who will have the ability to manage access controls and impose restrictions on the use of WeChat for such WeChat user. Such person shall be referred to in these terms and conditions as “Guardian”. Guardian Mode is available to all WeChat users.
We may make changes to these Guardian Mode Terms over time, so please come back and review these Guardian Mode Terms regularly. By continuing to use Guardian Mode after we make any changes to these Guardian Mode Terms, you are agreeing to be bound by the revised Guardian Mode Terms.
1. Switching on Guardian Mode
WeChat users may switch on Guardian Mode via the following steps: Me > Settings > Guardian Mode > Turn on Guardian Mode. In order to activate Guardian Mode, the WeChat user would be prompted to set a separate password to manage this function (this password may be changed at any time by entering the original password). The WeChat user will also be required to designate a Guardian from his/her Contacts list and to send a corresponding invitation to the designated Guardian’s WeChat/Weixin account. Guardian Mode will only be successfully activated when the Guardian accepts such invitation on his/her WeChat/Weixin account.
If you are a parent or legally appointed guardian who wishes to use Guardian Mode to control or restrict the use of WeChat by a minor, it is recommended that you set this password and not disclose it to the minor user to prevent the latter from independently changing the access controls for Guardian Mode. If you are a WeChat user using Guardian Mode and has forgotten your independent password for Guardian Mode, you may reset the password by clicking on the “Forget password” button, and you would then be required to send a request to your Guardian for his/her approval for the password reset. Only when the Guardian accepts the said request on his/her WeChat/Weixin account would you be able to perform a password reset.
2. Managing access controls
When Guardian Mode is switched on, there will be restrictions on the following core functions of WeChat:
(1) Adding friends: WeChat users using Guardian Mode would only be allowed to add friends via group chats or through the use of QR codes; and
(2) Moments: Under Guardian Mode, the privacy setting which allows other users who are not already friends of a WeChat user to view his 10 latest Moments posts will be disabled, and the WeChat user would also not be able to view the 10 latest Moments of other non-friend users.
In addition, access to Channels, Shake, Top Stories, Search, People Nearby, WeBeans, emoji stores and external links will be automatically suspended under Guardian Mode.
Guardians may also manage the access controls for the following features operated by Weixin and made available through the WeChat Platform (for further details on the interoperability between WeChat and Weixin, please refer to the WeChat Terms of Service):
(1) Official Accounts: Guardians can manage access controls for Official Accounts by taking the following steps: enter Guardian mode > input independent password for Guardian Mode > select Official Accounts > select “Disable access”, “Official Accounts that I follow” or “All”.
(2) Mini Programs: Guardians can manage access controls for Mini Programs by taking the following steps: enter Guardian Mode > input independent password for Guardian Mode > select Mini Programs > select “Disable access”, “My Mini Programs” or “All”.
3. Switching off Guardian Mode
WeChat users can switch off Guardian Mode via the following steps: Me > Settings > Guardian Mode > Input independent password for Guardian Mode > Switch off Guardian Mode.
4. WeChat users who activate Guardian Mode may have restricted access or no access to the functions for which access controls can be managed under Guardian Mode. The designated Guardians of these WeChat users can modify the relevant access controls for these functions. In this connection, each of the Guardian and the relevant WeChat user using Guardian Mode hereby acknowledges and agrees that the said restrictions are caused by the access control settings the Guardian has set for the relevant WeChat user under Guardian Mode. WeChat cannot and will not change the Guardian Mode settings set by the Guardian, and each of the Guardian and the relevant WeChat user using Guardian Mode shall be solely responsible for the consequences of such settings, including causing restricted or suspended access to certain features available on WeChat for the WeChat user using Guardian Mode. WeChat reserves the right to adjust the access controls for features available on the WeChat for compliance with applicable laws and regulations, the improvement of user experience, function optimisation and other legitimate reasons.
5. If the Guardian discloses the independent password for Guardian Mode to the WeChat user in question or switches off Guardian Mode, the Guardian and the WeChat user may not be able to use the features of Guardian Mode when using WeChat.
6. Where the WeChat user using Guardian Mode is a minor, the Guardian hereby represents and warrants that he or she is the parent or legally appointed guardian of the minor user (and enjoys the right of guardianship) under applicable law. The Guardian further agrees not to use Guardian Mode to infringe on the legitimate rights and interests of others or WeChat.
7. Each of the Guardian and the relevant WeChat user using Guardian Mode acknowledges and agrees that the use of Guardian Mode does not provide any exemption or limitation of liability for the WeChat user using Guardian Mode, and the WeChat user shall be solely responsible for the use of his or her WeChat account and any consequences arising out of or in connection with such use to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.
8. Each of the Guardian and the relevant WeChat user using Guardian Mode acknowledges and agrees that, if the Guardian or the WeChat user concerned engages in any act on the WeChat platform which violates applicable laws and regulations or the relevant rules and agreements of WeChat, whether through the use of Guardian Mode or otherwise, WeChat may take any action and avail itself of any rights and remedies available to WeChat under these Guardian Mode Terms, or any other terms in the agreements between WeChat and its users, at law or in equity.
10. WeChat is committed to maintaining a healthy and safe online environment for all WeChat users. However, where the WeChat user is a minor, the obligation to supervise and manage the minor user’s use of online platforms lies with the minor user’s parents or legally appointed guardian. Notwithstanding the activation and use of Guardian Mode, parents or legally appointed guardians are required to supervise the use of WeChat by minors for whom they are legally responsible, to ensure that the use of and content accessed on WeChat are suitable for minors.
11. If you are the parent or legally appointed guardian of a WeChat user who is a minor, and have any questions about how WeChat handles the personal data of the minor, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review your inquiry and aim to respond to you as soon as possible after receiving the inquiry and verifying your identity and relationship with the minor.
- Warranty and Disclaimer;
- Liability for WeChat;
- No Liability for Third Parties;
- Governing Law and Dispute Resolution; and
- any jurisdiction-specific terms.
13. We may translate these Guardian Mode Terms into multiple languages. If there is any difference between the English version and any other language version of these Guardian Mode Terms, the English version will apply (to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations).
14. If you have any questions about these Guardian Mode Terms, please contact us by going to “Me” -> “Settings” -> “Help & Feedback” via the WeChat app or by visiting help.wechat.com.